A rich & steeped history
The Manor has been the home of Cully family since 1960’s. Before then, Kilbride Manor has a rich and steeped history. Rebuilt in 1835 in the gabled Elizabethan-Gothic style, its large tapestried rooms, cellar quarters, and 'bell tower' granary, are the visual treasures that remain of a long-departed era in Irish history.
The potted history of Kilbride Manor.
In 1824 the Kilbride estate was purchased from George Ponsonby's widow by George Ogle Moore, barrister, MP for Dublin from 1826 to 1831 and Registrar of Deeds until 1846. Moore, described by James Ambercromby as 'an orange lawyer of doubtful fame ' and by Richard Lalor Sheil as 'Sir Forcible Feeble', was an aggressive defender of the Protestant interest in Parliament, mocked by his opponents for his intemperate opposition to Catholic Emancipation.
The current 'Manor' house, designed by Thomas Cobden in Tudor Revival style, was under construction when the Valuation House Books were being compiled in 1843. It replaced or incorporated an earlier building, 'Kilbride House' depicted on the 1838 OS maps, possibly built before 1800. George Moore was living in Kilbride Manor in 1844, when James Frazer noted 'a new mansion and other improvements are in progress'.
After Moore's death in 1847 his property passed to his son, the Reverend William Ogle Moore, the curate of Blessington and Kilbride parishes, whose financial difficulties are described in the diaries of Elizabeth Smith. In March 1853 she noted:
“Ogle Moore has completed the preliminaries of his sale. A few weeks now will see him an independent man. All debts paid, his little income clear, and twenty thousand pounds to leave among his six daughters. He will educate and start his sons and they must make their own way.”
Moore's Estate Act of 1853 allowed Elizabeth Brown and her husband Joseph Scott Moore to purchase the Kilbride estate. In 1876, Joseph Scott Moore held 8,730 acres in Wicklow. Upon his death in 1884 he was succeeded by his son Joseph Fletcher Moore, whose son, Colonel Joseph Scott Moore, died at Kilbride in 1950. All three served as Justices of the Peace and High Sheriff of Wicklow.
Source: wikipedia. various citations.